The Negros Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Negros Chronicle

The online community of the leading newspaper in Oriental Negros

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?

Go down 
+3
shakoy
Shakatak
pickled_newt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
pickled_newt

pickled_newt

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2007-06-06

Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Empty
PostSubject: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 am

Why is there some entrance fee to visit that huge statue of the Virgin Mary over looking Jo's by the Sea at Ajung Sibulan ? I'm trying to understand of some small fees for the maintainance of the surrounding gardens .However the entrance fee seems high for filipino folks to afford . For me being based overseas 100 peso is only is a very small amount , but 70% of the population of dumaguete who are below the poverty line ,it is such beyond the means of the very poor .The entrance fee for adults is P100 and for children is P50. Is this a place for the better offs ? It's an image divine of the blessed mother being erected out there, and should never be commercialized.In my opinion it's either have it in private or for the public access but with affordable to the majority that represents this city.I meant to have a look at the garden,though I am not Roman Catholic but by principle and conscience i felt so awkward to step into the area.

Last edited by on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shakatak

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2007-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 10:45 am

That's what they call Holy s**t you're right they're making a lot of big money out of it. If that is that case I'm sorry to say to hell with them and let me meditate somewhere else a place where nobody can disturb you to commune with God.
Back to top Go down
pickled_newt

pickled_newt

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 12:35 pm

You're right shak,God is everywhere,God has no image ,no one should be making money out of His divine holiness or his image ,and even so as the figure of Virgin Mary.

There is something in our soul that says it is wrong.
Back to top Go down
shakoy

shakoy

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 2:01 pm

shakatak and pickled_newt, its really hard for me to comprehend why the hell NGs family is trying to earn out of the statue,is this how really chinese businessmen behaves? are they trying to make a fool with the local people?
Back to top Go down
Shakatak

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 8:06 am

Pasagdi-a lang usa karon kay mo-abot ang adlaw ig-an na sila sa kilat....

Unsay ingon sa bibiliya pasagdi-a lang nga ang sagbot mutubo kauban sa mga trigo kay mo-abot ang higayon nga mag-anihan ipunon ang trigo ug ang sagbot separately unya sunugon ang sagbot kay wa may bili..

Anyway let God deal with such wickedness. Lord kayo na po ang bahala.
Back to top Go down
jazmine

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 4:28 pm

bisan asa ka pwede mag ampo... ang mga tawo moanha cguro kai ang ilang gui ingon mga makatabang/sa ila bang pagtoo kaha.. gui negosyo...usa na na run .. wa ko kaila ining mga tawhana ... naka agi lang ko sa lugar.. tinood dako jud.. pero naa mai blaigya ana nganong di na lang mopalit ug did2 sila mag ampo sa ilang balay..
naa koi pagtoo .. i welcome uban nga relihiyon fud kai para nako usa rai GINOO... i like the idea of Interfaith ...para husay ang kalibutan wa nai samok... ug respetar ug unsang denomination .. ug mao nai ilang gusto di maau... cheers
Back to top Go down
lali@CA

lali@CA

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 pm

hello everyone!for a while? did i read it right? mama mary's image is in business? Oh my! does it mean that even doing some prayers or devotion has a fee? tsk,tsk,tsk,..... and what is now the comment/action from the religious sector then? since harap-harapan na man jud ni nga INSULTO. i always pass by that place b4 and it's amazing, very well landscape BUT if we talk of FEES,...oh oh,... thats another story,...maybe donation is acceptable but fees and with that amount??? wow! SWAPANG! is that how desperate this people are who own that place???
Back to top Go down
Shakatak

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 1:25 am

'Day datu na man ang tag-iya niana... you're right kung mu-ingon nga donasyon and goes to some foundation ok lang. Pero kung tinu-od gyud na ay sus Diyos na ang bahala.
Back to top Go down
shakoy

shakoy

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 1:37 pm

lali, i think the family of NG owns the place, or simply Jos chicken inato owner owns that

basin kulang pa gyud ang ila wealth mao naa bayad kung mo sulod ka or bisita para lang maka apreciate
Back to top Go down
jazmine

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 am

ohh basig dili sila pabayad.. basig donasyun lang dagway... sakita fud anang tagsa ka gatus entrans oi ... affraid confused
Back to top Go down
pickled_newt

pickled_newt

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 am

maring jazmine mao lagi na, tag 100 pesos por adults ,mga bata tag 50 pesos entrance ,nalisang gud ko . maayu unta tug akung gi 'kodakan' ,naa tay hulagway dri ika pakita ebidensya gyud. kamo nga mamakasyun unya sa atung dapit,hala sulayi ang Jo's By The Sea,tsada ilang setting,naa na sa ajung sibulan.Pero atbang sa Jo's mao kanang garden nga na-ay nag umbaw nga Virgin mary balig daku-a.Tan-awa ninyu diha gyud sa gate nila ,na-ay naka poste nga info bahin entrance fee.

Wala ra man unta ko ,kay nahan man mi's Jo's .Pero kining entrance fee nila para sa garden tan-aw-tan-aw o sa virgin mary ma-uy naka dala ug hugaw sa image.Ang garden nila it's not worth an entrance fee, it is nicely landscaped but it's too small as worth visiting.It's not hectares or massive garden as some of u out there naka bisita dra sa abroad , mga stunning gardens stretching several acres .The Jo's garden is ok, but i wont spare my 100 pesos just to look at there garden or kiss the feet of da virgin mary.Ako nalang ihatag ang 100 pesos sa makililimos o nagkalisud sa atua mas maayu pa,maka hatag pa kini ug bisan dyutay nga pagka-on sa gigutum.
Back to top Go down
shakoy

shakoy

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 1:50 pm

mga mari,

ako na ipa-alayun nya ug adto anytime this next month, pa picturan gyud nako na then ako ipost diri

COUNT ON IT...
Back to top Go down
jazmine

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:38 pm

daghang salamat shaks, naka agi ko dha nya akong na pictyuran .. wai a u kai kusug ang padagan sa ceres wa kaa u ma klaro, lol! wa man kaa u rebulto ning mga simbahan dre, normally ang akong adtuan are temples and botanic gardens.. morag wa may temples sa dumaguete... sa cebu hinoon naa ug sa zamboanga sa zc wai entrance fee free ka nga mo pray ang akong nabal-an naa chinese cemetery pero wai chinese temple o basig naa wa lang ipahibalo sa kadaghanan
have a good day all cheers
Back to top Go down
pickled_newt

pickled_newt

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 4:11 am

Bitaw maayu nga na-ay pic dri ma plastar para ibidensya .Segi shakoy yaw dugaya ang request nimo pa piktsuran didtu .maghulat mi ,ty.
Back to top Go down
shakoy

shakoy

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 10:53 am

any time soon pickled, busy pa ako kudaker kay nagpasupervise pa gama ug tangkal sa bukid, ehhehehe
Back to top Go down
pickled_newt

pickled_newt

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 11:39 pm

shakoy wrote:
any time soon pickled, busy pa ako kudaker kay nagpasupervise pa gama ug tangkal sa bukid, ehhehehe

Asa na man tung imong kudaker pre shakoy?

Laughing Basketball
Back to top Go down
TITA

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 7:39 pm

Pastilan ning madatu na,walay ka kuntintu sa ilang kadatu,hasta imahin sa Santa Maria e business pa,grabiha sab.Mao sab ni esturya sa akung pag umangkon didto nga may entrance kuno,mahal ra ba kuno.
Bisan iya pang esturya para kini sa mga pobre hinabang,pagkangalan nga ang may kwarta ika afford lang ang maka bisita,kini hipokrito,mata pobre nga kina-iya. Salamat newt sa pag highlight niini nga issue .
Back to top Go down
shakoy

shakoy

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 12:06 pm

pickled_newt wrote:
shakoy wrote:

Asa na man tung imong kudaker pre shakoy?

Laughing Basketball

sorry ayo marin newt, sige raman ko ingnon ako bro busy pa sya, naa man gud ni sya gikalingawan na pigery kunuhay,

kani sa lag ako ihatag nimo na kalingaw tan-aw ug paminaw, tan-aw pud ani tita para dili taas kaayo ato pressure,hehehhe

https://www.youtube.com/v/DwxLDKuBRzs
Back to top Go down
T'sar

T'sar

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi everyone, I just do think you have misconstrued the concept of The Lady's Garden. The entrance fee is to generate a non-profitable income, to fund-raise to which Mrs. Ng and family have chosen the Charity to support. It's for a GOOD CAUSE and us as a society should appreciate that.
Back to top Go down
pickled_newt

pickled_newt

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 4:33 am

T'sar wrote:
Hi everyone, I just do think you have misconstrued the concept of The Lady's Garden. The entrance fee is to generate a non-profitable income, to fund-raise to which Mrs. Ng and family have chosen the Charity to support. It's for a GOOD CAUSE and us as a society should appreciate that.

It's nice to have some inputs here after a long time without

We probably 'misconstrued' the issue as you implied of us regarding the Lady's Garden .But sorry , myself had visited many charitable causes even had participated in some fund raisings but things were apparently more transparent .Some gather funds from voluntary donations ,raffle draws , disco , Run /walk /cycling events only as examples . The collected funds were accounted into more organized setting ,with treasurers ,auditors , members and not going into personal account .

I don't like to sound rude or overly critical to Mrs Ng because I don't know her personally apart from she's a business woman and an onwer of Jo's . However , several of us and a few friends I knew who's not in this forum thought it's oddly bizarre to put an entrance fee to visit a religious iconic image of the Virgin Mary . Strangely only the better off filipinos,balikbayans and other visitors can afford entrance fee .Isn't the Virgin Mary of love and kindness and for everybody and touching the very poor and the lost ones. Sadly ,as I see the virgin mary of Sibulan isn't for the poor.

I think Mrs Ng regardless of her sincere intentions for charitable purposes had missed the point.This is about the holy image of the Virgin Mary being used ,it's not an entrance fee to a variety show . Does it necessarilly need to set an amount of 100 or 150 pesos to get in and visit the virgin mary ? children charged 50 pesos ?Such amount is nothing for the better off .But for the poor family of Juan Tamad who are struggling to feed themselves ,50 pesos is a kilo of rice or corn with ginamos or bulad to save the day out of starvation . Sadly and obviously it sends off the signals that this towering Virgin Mary over Sibulan aren't for the poor but for the better off. It virtually weeds out the low income people of Dumaguete and other areas who wish sincerely in there hearts to visit the place .Perhaps she's unaware that setting fee to visit a religious icon sends a different message and in itself can be discrimanating . Anybody can set an enterprises in the name of charity to avoid taxes ,but I don't know much about the Philippine law in terms of income taxation though . I am not saying Mrs Ng did this but some business people here in the west do so to get big tax cut .Even though how well Mrs Ng defends her charitable causes , I would apologize but the whole transaction looks like a normal business enterprise .
If I were to give money to a charity ,I would wish to know where the money goes and you can see the project right in your eyes. There's transparent cash flow/accounting etc visible for interested parties .Anyone can visit and speak to the benificiaries and the lot.That's true charity .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?   Entrance fee to visit the  statue of the Virgin Mary ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Entrance fee to visit the statue of the Virgin Mary ?
Page 1 of 1